Donald Trump has said he is “disappointed” in Russia and will have a major statement to make on Monday. He has also said a new deal has been struck between the US, NATO allies and Ukraine over American weapons shipments. Follow the latest below.
Friday 11 July 2025 08:00, UK
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
Images of damaged and burnt-out buildings are emerging from Kharkiv, in northeast Ukraine, this morning after a Russian drone strike.
Russia has recently intensified its airstrikes on civilian areas after more than three years of war.
In the past week, Russia launched over 1,000 drones at Ukraine.
Kyiv and Kremlin forces continue to fight heavily along the eastern flank of Ukraine but neither side have made a major breakthrough.
Scroll through the latest battlefield maps in Ukraine below to see the situation on the ground…
One person had been killed and another is injured after a Ukrainian drone attack on Russia’s Tula region, around 124 miles south of Moscow, the local governor has said.
Russian defence ministry air defence units destroyed 13 drones during the night combat operations to protect the region’s airspace, Tula’s regional governor, Dmitry Milyaev, said on Telegram.
Russia and Ukraine have been increasing their drone attacks over recent months but both sides claim they only target military infrastructure.
Further to our last post, Donald Trump has also said the US will supply weapons to Ukraine via NATO.
In recent days, Trump has expressed frustration with Vladimir Putin over the lack of progress towards ending the war.
As well as teasing a “major statement” in his interview with NBC News, Trump also said a new deal had been struck between the US, NATO allies and Ukraine over American weapons shipments.
“We’re sending weapons to NATO, and NATO is paying for those weapons, 100%. So what we’re doing is the weapons that are going out are going to NATO, and then NATO is going to be giving those weapons (to Ukraine), and NATO is paying for those weapons,” Trump said.
“We send weapons to NATO, and NATO is going to reimburse the full cost of those weapons,” he added.
The Trump administration has so far only sent weapons
authorised by former President Joe Biden, who was a staunch supporter of Kyiv.
While Trump had pledged to swiftly end the war, months into his presidency, little progress has been made.
He has at times criticised US spending on Ukraine’s defence but he has also voiced support for Kyiv and expressed frustration with Vladimir Putin at the same time.
Donald Trump has said he will make a “major statement” on Russia on Monday.
In an interview with our partner network NBC News, the US leader spoke about Russia’s war with Ukraine.
“I’m disappointed in Russia, but we’ll see what happens over the next couple of weeks,” he said.
“I think I’ll have a major statement to make on Russia on Monday.”
The president did not elaborate on the details of this announcement.
But he has been showing growing frustration with Vladimir Putin over the war in Ukraine and this week said he was considering supporting a Senate bill that would impose stiff sanctions on Russia, including eye-watering 500% tariffs on nations that buy Russian oil, gas, uranium, and other exports.
We’re back with our coverage of the war in Ukraine this morning.
Yesterday, Ukraine was hit by another drone attack, with Ukraine’s air force saying the assault by Russia involved around 400 drones and 18 missiles, primarily targeting the capital.
It came a day after Russia launched its largest drone strike against Ukraine.
Elsewhere, in Rome, world leaders attended the fourth Ukraine Recovery Conference, hosted by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.
Addressing world leaders there, Volodymyr Zelenskyy said his country needed more air defence systems and missiles and urged allies to increase their investments.
It came as it was announced participants at the Rome conference had pledged over €10bn (£8.6bn) to help rebuild Ukraine.
The conference will conclude today.
We’ll bring you more updates throughout the day.
Thanks for following our live coverage of the war in Ukraine today.
Before we return, here’s a rundown of what’s happened in the last 24 hours…
Another night of Russian attacks
Russia’s overnight drone and missile attacks across Ukraine have grown in scale and intensity throughout 2025.
Last night was no different, with Ukraine’s air force saying the assault by Russia had involved around 400 drones and 18 missiles, primarily targeting the capital.
Officials say damage was reported in six out of the Kyiv’s 10 districts, with two people dying and dozens more injured.
Moscow said its forces successfully carried out strikes on military-industrial facilities in the city.
Zelenskyy attends recovery conference
Meanwhile, in Rome, Volodymyr Zelenskyy attended the fourth Ukraine Recovery Conference, hosted by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.
There, Ukraine’s allies pledged more than £8.6bn to help rebuild the country. Zelenskyy said there were around 200 agreements that were ready to be signed.
US-Russia ‘exchange new ideas’ for peace talks
Over in Malaysia, at an economic conference, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio held talks with Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov.
The discussions, which Rubio said were “frank” and “important”, came after US President Donald Trump said he was disappointed with Russian leader Vladimir Putin for stringing him along over peace efforts.
Rubio said that Russia had offered a “new and a different approach” during talks today, without expanding on what it included.
“I wouldn’t characterise it as something that guarantees peace, but it’s a concept I will take back to the president today,” he said.
In other news…
A bit more to bring you now.
We’ve been speaking to former Ukrainian prime minister Arseniv Yatsenyuk just now.
He told presenter Mark Austin that his country was in need of more missiles.
Watch their full chat here:
Volodymyr Zelenskyy has been speaking in Rome at the Ukraine Recovery Conference.
The Ukrainian leader spoke earlier at the event, where he thanked allies for pledging over €10bn (£8.6bn) to help rebuild Ukraine.
He then dialled in for a coalition of the willing meeting that featured Italy’s Giorgia Meloni, Sir Keir Starmer and Emmanuel Macron.
Speaking this evening, he thanked Lt Gen Keith Kellogg, Donald Trump’s special envoy for Ukraine and Russia, and US senators Lindsey Graham and Richard Blumenthal, for their attendance.
Zelenskyy also welcomed recent signs from Trump of support for Ukraine.
“His signals are very, very important, and we count on it,” he said.
“And I’m sure that in the future, we will develop the coalition of the willing together.”
He added: “We in Ukraine are very much grateful to the Congress of the United States and President Trump for the support and readiness to strengthen pressure on Russia for the sake of peace.
“This is what’s needed.”
Russia has ramped up the scale of its aerial attacks on Ukraine in the past few months, breaking its record for the most number of missiles and drones launched in one night several times.
In fact, all of Russia’s largest drone and missile attacks on Ukraine have come since the beginning of June. Here they are in order:
Be the first to get Breaking News
Install the Sky News app for free