• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Welcome to Quixnet

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

Ukraine war latest: Moscow and Kyiv targeted as Russia and Ukraine launch overnight strikes – Sky News

July 21, 2025 by quixnet

One person has been killed and seven have been injured after Russia targeted Kyiv in overnight strikes. Meanwhile, thousands had their flights cancelled or delayed after Ukraine launched drone attacks on Russia. Follow the latest below.
Monday 21 July 2025 09:07, UK
Michael Clarke, our military analyst, will be back on Tuesday to answer more of your questions about the war in Ukraine.
You can submit yours using the box at the top of this page.
Russian media has reported that Ukrainian drone attacks caused chaos at airports across the country.
Russia’s defence ministry said it shot down 117 drones overnight, with 30 over the Moscow region, after it downed 172 drones the previous day.
The country’s civil aviation authority briefly imposed restrictions on flights at Moscow’s main airports – Sheremetyevo, Vnukovo, Domodedovo and Zhukovskiy.
Videos published by Russian media showed people sleeping on the floor of Sheremetyevo airport.
One person has been killed and seven others have been injured in Kyiv after Russian drone attacks overnight.
Ukraine’s air force said Russia launched 426 drones and 24 missiles overnight across the country, but only 23 hit their targets.
The city’s mayor Vitali Klitschko said rescuers and medics were working across four districts of the capital.
Officials said a subway station, commercial property, shops, houses and a kindergarten were damaged in the strikes.
Good morning and welcome back to our live coverage of the war in Ukraine.
Russia’s aerial attacks on Ukraine continued overnight, with one person killed and seven injured in the country’s capital.
Meanwhile, thousands had their flights cancelled or delayed after Ukraine launched drone attacks on Russia.
Away from the battlefield, the UK and Germany will chair a virtual meeting of the Ukraine Defence Contact Group.
The two countries are set to pledge new air defence systems to Kyiv, with Defence Secretary John Healey calling for a “50-day drive” to support Ukraine.
Stay with us, we’ll bring you the latest updates throughout the day.
That’s all for our live coverage of the war in Ukraine today.
If you’re just checking in, here is a recap of the key developments so far.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt is holding a news briefing.
We’ll bring you any updates on Ukraine here, and you can watch the full live stream below.
This week, Yalda and Richard discuss Donald Trump’s big decision to send weapons to Ukraine through NATO. Why has he changed his mind?
Yalda explains why she thinks Trump is following a similar position to presidents before him when it comes to Vladimir Putin.
To get in touch or to share questions, email theworld@sky.uk 
Listen to The World on your podcast app
Here’s a look at the latest battlefield maps in Ukraine.
Scroll through the maps below to view different parts of Ukraine, including the situation in key regions such as Luhansk, Donetsk, Kursk and Belgorod.
We’ve heard from Ukraine’s new defence minister this afternoon for the first time since his appointment was confirmed.
Denys Shmyhal said leading the country’s ministry of defence in wartime is “an honour and a profound responsibility”.
He has replaced Rustem Umerov in the role.
“One of the key missions: increase the share of Ukrainian-made weapons from 40% to 50% within six months,” he said.
“We will turn the ministry into a system that works fast, transparent and without bureaucracy.
“At the same time, we will strengthen our defence partnerships worldwide.”
Russia has lodged a protest with the Japanese embassy in Moscow over the participation of Japanese forces in a US-led military exercise.
Named Resolute Force Pacific, the exercise saw the US air force carry out a rapid, mass deployment of personnel, equipment and aircraft to multiple locations in the Indo-Pacific.
“Russia considers such irresponsible activity, which bears all the hallmarks of preparation for armed conflict, unacceptable,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.
“It poses a potential threat to the security of the Russian Federation and will inevitably prompt appropriate countermeasures.”
It comes days after Russia’s foreign minister warned the US, South Korea and Japan against forming a security partnership targeting North Korea.
Sergei Lavrov was visiting the city of Wonsan when he accused the three countries of what he described as military buildups around North Korea.
Be the first to get Breaking News
Install the Sky News app for free

source

Filed Under: World

Primary Sidebar

Quote of the Day

Footer

Read More

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

My Account & Help

  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Copyright © 2026 · Urban Communications Inc. · Log in