Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in
Swipe for next article
Volodymyr Zelensky says dozens of civilians injured as governor posts picture of burning passenger carriage
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Volodymyr Zelensky says at least 30 of civilians have been injured in a “savage” attack on a passenger train in Ukraine’s northern Sumy region.
Russia’s attack had targeted a railway station and a train heading to Kyiv was hit, regional governor Oleh Hryhorov said. The governor posted a picture of a burning passenger carriage.
It comes after Russia carried out its biggest attack yet on Ukrainian gas facilities on Friday, according to Ukraine’s largest national oil and gas company.
Naftogaz said Russian forces had launched the largest strike on its gas production facilities since the start of the invasion in 2022, causing “critical” damage.“Facilities in Kharkiv and Poltava regions were hit with 35 missiles, many of them ballistic, along with 60 drones,” they said in a statement.
Russia’s Vladimir Putin warned Donald Trump on Thursday that the US risked “a new stage of escalation” if Washington provides Ukraine with long-range Tomahawk missiles.
Meanwhile, Munich Airport resumed services earlier on Saturday, after it was shut down for the second time in less than 24 hours over suspected drone sightings.
Moscow stepped up strikes on Ukraine’s rail and power grids which is essential for military transport, hitting it almost every day over the past two months.
The head of Ukraine’s national rail operator, Ukrzaliznytsia, Oleksandr Pertsovsky, called the recent strike on a passenger train “a vile attack aimed at stopping communication with our front-line communities.”
Russia struck two passenger trains in quick succession, first targeting a local service and then a second bound for Kyiv, said Oleksiy Kuleba, Ukraine’s deputy prime minister and reconstruction minister.
He said the second drone hit while an evacuation was underway.
“This is one of the most brutal Russian tactics — the so-called ‘double strike,’ when the second strike hits rescuers and people who are evacuating,” Ukraine’s top diplomat, Andrii Sybiha said, according to a Telegram post by the foreign ministry.
A 71-year-old man was found dead in one of the wrecked carriages following the “savage” attack on a passenger train heading to Kyiv.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said at least 30 people have been injured in the attack.
But hours later, local prosecutors said that a 71-year-old man was found dead in one of the wrecked carriages.
An attack on a passenger train in Ukraine’s northern Sumy region has left at least 30 people injured.
Volodymyr Zelensky said in a post on X: “The Russians could not have been unaware that they were striking civilians. And this is terror the world must not ignore.”
As the European Union pushes to fully sever its reliance on Russian energy and the administration of US president Donald Trump urges Nato members to abandon Russian oil, one country’s populist government stands firm.
Read more here:
Moscow has recently stepped up airstrikes on Ukraine’s railway network, which is essential for military transport, hitting it almost every day over the past two months. As in previous years since the full-scale invasion in February 2022, the Kremlin has also ramped up attacks on Ukraine’s power grid, in what Kyiv calls an attempt to weaponize the approaching winter by denying civilians heat, light and running water.
Overnight into Saturday, Russian drones and missiles pounded Ukraine’s power grid again, a Ukrainian energy firm said, a day after what officials described as the biggest attack on Ukrainian natural gas facilities since Moscow’s all-out invasion more than three and a half years ago.
The strike damaged energy facilities near Chernihiv, a northern city west of Shostka that lies close to the Russian border, and sparked blackouts set to affect some 50,000 households, according to regional operator Chernihivoblenergo.
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in