• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Welcome to Quixnet

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Kyiv halts Putin’s advance in Sumy after new prisoner swap deal agreed – The Independent

June 27, 2025 by quixnet

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in
On the frontline, Putin’s advance in Sumy has been halted by recent Ukrainian successes on the northern front
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Ukraine has received from Russia a number of its soldiers who were hailed as “heroes” for their role in defending besieged Mariupol, part of the latest prisoner swap between the two countries that was agreed in Istanbul.
Ukraine’s coordination headquarters for the treatment of prisoners of war said the majority of the prisoners had been in Russian custody for more than three years. The swap included injured soldiers and those with health complaints.
The youngest is 24 and the oldest is 62, it said, adding that more exchanges are expected soon – in line with the limited progress Moscow and Kyiv have made in peace talks.
Though the Istanbul talks have produced multiple prisoner exchanges, more substantive developments on ceasefire talks have been elusive.
Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Donald Trump told him he would attend peace talks between the leaders of Ukraine and Russia in Turkey if they took place.
On the frontline, Ukrainian forces have halted Russia’s recent advance into the northern Sumy region and have stabilised the front line near the border with Russia, Ukraine’s top military commander said yesterday.
Traffic on the Don River in the Kalachevsky district of Russia’s Volgograd region was temporarily restricted this morning to eliminate wreckage from a “massive” Ukrainian drone attack, the regional governor’s administration said.
“Sappers are at work,” Volgograd governor Andrei Bocharov said. He added that there were no injuries as a result of the attack.
It was not immediately clear whether the bridge on the Don River, Europe’s fifth-longest, was damaged.
The Russian defence ministry said in a post on Telegram that its air defence units destroyed 39 Ukrainian drones overnight over the Russian territory and the Crimean Peninsula, including 13 over the Volgograd region.
European Union leaders called for even greater efforts to help meet Ukraine’s pressing military needs, and expressed support for the country’s quest to join their ranks.
The talks, however, made little headway with new sanctions against Russia, slowing EU’s key agenda for months now.
At a summit in Brussels yesterday, the leaders said it was important to deliver more “air defense and anti-drone systems, and large-caliber ammunition, to help Ukraine, as it exercises its inherent right to self-defence, to protect its citizens and territory against Russia’s intensified daily attacks.”
They also underlined the need to help support Ukraine’s defence industry, which can make weapons and ammunition more quickly and cheaply than its European counterparts.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy took part in the meeting via videolink.
Russia and Ukraine completed another round of prisoner exchanges, officials in both countries said yesterday, part of an agreement struck in Istanbul recently between the two sides.
Both sides exchanged the same number of prisoners, but there was no word on how many soldiers were involved, Russian state RIA news agency said.
Ukraine’s coordination headquarters for the treatment of prisoners of war said majority of the prsioners had been captive and in Russian custody for more than three years.
The swap included injured soldiers and those with health complaints. The youngest is 24 and the oldest is 62, it said, adding that more exchanges are expected soon.
Ukraine has announced it has pushed back Russian forces on the battlefield and said they have prevented an advance into the northern Sumy region, which has been one of the hottest fighting areas along the war frontline.
Ukraine’s top military commander, Colonel General Oleksandr Syrskyi, said that Ukrainian successes in Sumy have prevented Russia from deploying about 50,000 Russian troops, including elite airborne and marine brigades, to other areas of the frontline.
Here’s what we know about the region caught in heavy attacks.
The White House has recommended terminating US funding for nearly two dozen programs that conduct war crimes and accountability work globally, including in Myanmar, Syria and on alleged Russian atrocities in Ukraine, according to three US sources familiar with the matter and internal government documents reviewed by Reuters.
Several of the programs earmarked for termination operate war crimes accountability projects in Ukraine, three sources familiar with the matter said, including Global Rights Compliance, which is helping to collect evidence of war crimes and crimes against humanity across Ukraine, such as sexual violence and torture.
Another is Legal Action Worldwide, a legal aid group which supports local efforts to bring cases against Russian suspects of war crimes in Ukraine, the sources said.
The recommendation from the Office of Management and Budget, which was made on Wednesday and has not been previously reported, is not the final decision to end the programs since it gives the State Department the option to appeal.
The programs also include work in Iraq, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Belarus, Sudan, South Sudan, Afghanistan and the Gambia, according to the sources and a list seen by Reuters.
Traffic on the Don River in the Kalachevsky district of Russia’s Volgograd region was temporarily restricted this morning to eliminate wreckage from a “massive” Ukrainian drone attack, the regional governor’s administration said.
“Sappers are at work,” Volgograd governor Andrei Bocharov said. He added that there were no injuries as a result of the attack.
It was not immediately clear whether the bridge on the Don River, Europe’s fifth-longest, was damaged.
The Russian defence ministry said in a post on Telegram that its air defence units destroyed 39 Ukrainian drones overnight over the Russian territory and the Crimean Peninsula, including 13 over the Volgograd region.
Volgograd airport was closed for more than three hours before flights were restored just before 7am local time (0400 GMT), Russia’s civil aviation authority Rosaviatsia said on Telegram.
North Korea’s deployment of its troops to Ukrainian territory will represent “significant battlefield inflection”, the Institute for the Study of War.
“The North Korean and Russian military commands authorising the deployment of North Korean forces to Ukrainian territory would mark a significant battlefield inflection that may improve Russian forces’ ability to sustain simultaneous offensive operations in multiple directions, which the Russian military has traditionally struggled to conduct,” the US-based think tank said in its latest assessment.
According to the South Korean intelligence, North Korea may deploy an unspecified number of additional North Korean forces to Russia to fight against Ukraine as early as July or August 2025 and that North Korea continues to arm Russia with artillery ammunition and missiles.
The UK must prepare for the possibility of a “wartime scenario” on home soil, a major new government review has warned.The National Security Strategy, published on Tuesday, has issued the grim warning as events in the Middle East and Russia’s war with Ukraine continue to add to international instability.
It comes just 48 hours after Iran threatened to target UK bases following the US attack on its nuclear facilities, before a ceasefire was announced last night.
The strategy also recommends that UK citizens undergo “national resilience exercises” in preparation for attacks at home.
European Union leaders called for even greater efforts to help meet Ukraine’s pressing military needs, and expressed support for the country’s quest to join their ranks.
The talks, however, made little headway with new sanctions against Russia, slowing EU’s key agenda for months now.
At a summit in Brussels yesterday, the leaders said it was important to deliver more “air defense and anti-drone systems, and large-caliber ammunition, to help Ukraine, as it exercises its inherent right to self-defence, to protect its citizens and territory against Russia’s intensified daily attacks.”
They also underlined the need to help support Ukraine’s defence industry, which can make weapons and ammunition more quickly and cheaply than its European counterparts.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy took part in the meeting via videolink.
The leaders said the bloc “remains steadfast in its support for Ukraine’s path towards EU membership.”
That message comes a day after Nato leaders refrained from putting a reference to Ukraine’s hopes of joining the military organisation in their summit statement, due in large part to US resistance.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed home a new batch of the country’s soldiers taken captive by Russia as the two sides exchanged more prisoners of war yesterday.
“We are continuing the exchanges, another stage has taken place. Today, warriors of the Armed Forces, the National Guard, and the State Border Guard Service are returning home. Most of them had been in captivity since 2022,” he said in a post on X.
“We are doing everything possible to find each person, to verify the information on every name. We must bring all our people home,” he said, just days after he said Russia had sent some of its own dead soldiers to Ukraine in a swap of fallen soldiers.
He also shared an emotional video of the Ukrainian soldiers reuniting with their loved ones upon return to the country at an undisclosed location.
The returned soldiers are seen draped in Ukrainian flags, hugging and crying their loved ones, calling their family members, drinking a beverage and smoking.
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in

source

Filed Under: World

Primary Sidebar

Quote of the Day

Footer

Read More

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

My Account & Help

  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Copyright © 2026 · Urban Communications Inc. · Log in