• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Welcome to Quixnet

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

U.S.-Iran peace hopes fade as Trump scraps talks – NBC News

April 27, 2026 by quixnet

news Alerts
There are no new alerts at this time
ISLAMABAD/WASHINGTON — Hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough in the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran faded on Sunday, as efforts to revive talks stalled and ⁠both Tehran and Washington showed little sign of softening their positions.
Subscribe to read this story ad-free
Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi flew back to the Middle East from mediation talks in Pakistan over the weekend, while U.S. President Donald Trump scrapped a planned visit to Islamabad by his envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner.
Although a ceasefire has paused full-scale fighting in the conflict, which began with U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran on February ⁠28, no agreement has been reached on terms to end ​a ⁠war that has killed thousands, driven up oil prices, fuelled inflation and darkened the outlook for global growth.
Tehran has largely closed the Strait of Hormuz, which normally carries a fifth of global oil and ⁠liquefied natural gas shipments, while Washington has imposed a blockade of Iran’s ports.
Iranian ​President ⁠Masoud Pezeshkian told Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif by ‌phone that Tehran would not enter “imposed negotiations” under threats or blockade, according to a statement from the Iranian government.
He said the United States should first remove obstacles, including its maritime blockade, before negotiators could begin laying the ‌groundwork for a settlement.

Araghchi nevertheless described his visit to Pakistan as “very ‌fruitful.” After leaving Islamabad he flew to Oman – another mediator in the war – where he held talks on ending the conflict with the country’s leader, Haitham bin Tariq al-Said, state media reported. He was due to visit Russia next.
Speaking in Florida before he was rushed out of the ⁠White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington after a man opened fire on security personnel, Trump said he cancelled his envoys’ visit due to too much travel and expense for what he considered an inadequate Iranian offer.
After the diplomatic trip was called off, Trump said Iran “offered a lot, but not enough.”
On Truth Social, he wrote that there was “tremendous infighting and confusion” within Iran’s leadership.
“Nobody knows who is in charge, including them,” he posted. “Also, we have all the cards, they have none! If they want to talk, all they have to do ‌is call!!!”
Pezeshkian said last week there were “no hardliners or moderates” in Tehran and that the country stood ​united behind its supreme leader. Iran’s top negotiator Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf and Araghchi echoed the message in ‌recent days.
The war has destabilised the Middle East, ⁠with Tehran having struck its Gulf neighbours and fighting reignited between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Israeli Prime Minister ⁠Benjamin Netanyahu on Saturday ordered troops to forcefully attack Hezbollah targets in Lebanon, his office said, further testing a U.S.-mediated ceasefire there.
Earlier, White House press ‌secretary Karoline Leavitt said the U.S. had ​seen some progress from the Iranian side and that Vice ‌President JD Vance was ready to travel to ​Pakistan. Vance led an unsuccessful first round of talks in Islamabad this month.
Reuters
© 2026 NBCUniversal Media, LLC

source

Filed Under: US

Primary Sidebar

Quote of the Day

Footer

Read More

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

My Account & Help

  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Copyright © 2026 · Urban Communications Inc. · Log in