• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Welcome to Quixnet

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

Iran-US war live: Trump says ceasefire on ‘massive life support’ as Tehran hits back – The Independent

May 12, 2026 by quixnet

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in
Swipe for next article
A ceasefire was set up for peace talks between Iran and the US – but with Trump rejecting Iran’s response on Sunday there are fears fighting could resume
Removed from bookmarks
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
President Donald Trump has warned that a US-Iran ceasefire is now “on life support” as negotiations between the countries appear to have hit a deadlock.
The US leader said on Monday the agreement is now “unbelievably weak”, adding that it’s “the weakest right now after reading a piece of garbage they sent us.”
He added that he “didn’t even finish reading” Tehran’s latest proposal. “Am I going to waste my time reading it? I would say it’s one of the weakest right now. It’s on life support … I would say the ceasefire is on massive life support.”
Iran hit back earlier after previous comments by Trump calling their suggestions “totally unacceptable”.
Foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran’s proposals had been “generous” and “legitimate” in a news conference on Monday.
Iran is “demanding an end to the war, lifting the (US) blockade and piracy, and releasing Iranian assets that have been unjustly frozen in banks due to US pressure,” Mr Baghaei said.
Iran also issued a threat to the UK and France, warning that any warships in the Strait of Hormuz “will be met with decisive response”.
Tommy Pigott, a spokesperson for the US State Department, has said that Donald Trump will make a “good deal” with Iran.
“President Trump is going to make a good deal for the American people that protects the United States, the world and future generations”, Pigott told Fox News.
Pigott said the Trump administration has been clear that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, a sticking point during negotiations.
Donald Trump has hosted a dinner at the White House with law enforcement officials.
The US president told his guests Monday night, local time, that he “set aside the Iranians for an evening” to join them.
The US Treasury Department has ramped up economic pressure on Iran’s oil operations.
The agency announced Monday that it was sanctioning 12 individuals and entities “for their roles enabling the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ (IRGC) sale and shipment of Iranian oil” to China.
It comes a day before US President Donald Trump departs for his state visit to China.
“As Iran’s military desperately tries to regroup, Economic Fury will continue to deprive the regime of funding for its weapons programs, terrorist proxies, and nuclear ambitions”, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent wrote on X.
“Treasury will continue to cut the Iranian regime off from the financial networks it uses to carry out terrorist acts and to destabilize the global economy”.
The war that U President Donald Trump unilaterally started with Iran is sending oil prices through the stratosphere with no end in sight — and Americans are paying record-high gasoline prices just as the summer travel season comes into view. Unsurprisingly, his approval ratings are lower than they’ve ever been, and the giant ballroom that is Trump’s passion project is deeply unpopular.
So what is the leader of the free world up to this week? He’s jetting off to Beijing to be feted in a lavish state visit — including a sumptuous banquet in a golden ballroom that dwarfs the controversial monstrosity he’s building where the White House’s East Wing stood before he, wait for it, unilaterally demolished it.
Trump’s two-day sojourn in China — he actually leaves Tuesday and arrives late Wednesday before returning Friday — comes as the president and his administration remain locked in the economic malaise brought on by his own decision to launch a war against Iran without regard for decades of strategic analyses which had calculated that Tehran would retaliate by blocking the Strait of Hormuz, wreaking havoc on global markets by choking off a key maritime route for approximately a fifth of the world’s petroleum supply.
Read on…
Pakistan allowed Iranian military aircraft to park on its airfields, US officials told CBS News.
Shortly after US President Donald Trump announced a fragile ceasefire with Iran last month, Iran sent multiple aircraft to Pakistan Air Force Base Nur Khan, according to the officials.
Pakistan has played an important role in mediating communications between the US and Iran amid the war.
A senior Pakistani official denied that it was parking Iranian aircraft at Nur Khan Air Base, just outside of Rawalpindi.
“Nur Khan base is right in the heart of [the] city, a large fleet of aircrafts parked there can’t be hidden from [the] public eye”, the official told CBS News.
Iran’s parliamentary speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, has said there is “no alternative” to Tehran’s 14-point peace proposal.
“There is no alternative but to accept the rights of the Iranian people as laid out in the 14-point proposal”, he wrote on X. “Any other approach will be completely inconclusive; nothing but one failure after another. The longer they drag their feet, the more American taxpayers will pay for it.”
Trump called Iran’s latest proposal “garbage” and said the US ceasefire with the country is “on life support”.
The U.S. Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network issued an alert Monday to help financial institutions “identify and stop funding streams and procurement networks supporting Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.”
“The Alert outlines how the IRGC facilitates and launders the proceeds of illicit oil sales by using networks of shell companies and financial facilitators. To promote detection and reporting of suspicious activity by financial institutions, the Alert provides red flags related to the IRGC’s oil smuggling, front company abuse, and use of digital assets,” the agency said in a statement.
U.S. businesses are contending with the rising costs amid the Iran war — and bracing for lower hiring and investment in the near future.
Read more:
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in

source

Filed Under: US

Primary Sidebar

Quote of the Day

Footer

Read More

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

My Account & Help

  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Copyright © 2026 · Urban Communications Inc. · Log in