• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Welcome to Quixnet

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

Businesses sue Trump as he defends 'very standard tariffs' – ABC News & Headlines – Australian Broadcasting Corporation

August 18, 2026 by quixnet

Emergency
Backstory
Newsletters
中文新闻
BERITA BAHASA INDONESIA
TOK PISIN
Topic:Tariffs
Donald Trump defended his latest round of import taxes as "very standard tariffs". (Reuters: Evelyn Hockstein)
The Trump administration's new wave of tariffs is being challenged in court.
The case has been taken up by a not-for-profit law firm that successfully fought the president's previous tariffs.
The lawsuit was lodged shortly after the imposition of the new fees, which include a 12.5 per cent levy on products from Australia.
Two small US businesses are suing Donald Trump to try to stop him from placing new tariffs on imports from scores of countries, including Australia. 
The case has been taken up by non-profit law firm Liberty Justice Center, which successfully challenged Mr Trump's previous "liberation day" tariffs.
The new Trump tariffs, which include a 12.5 per cent levy on Australian imports, took effect on Friday.
The Trump administration imposed them after conducting trade investigations into all the US's major trading partners which found they were all doing too little to combat forced labour and slavery in supply chains.
The plaintiffs allege those findings were predetermined. Their legal complaint argues the new levies are instead designed to maintain a tariff regime that has already been deemed unlawful.
The complaint points out that Trump officials publicly stated, on multiple occasions, that they would find ways to bring back tariffs after Mr Trump's first attempt was struck down in court.
"Some of those statements were made before USTR [US Trade Representative] completed — or, in some cases, even began — the investigations supposedly supporting this new tariff regime," the Liberty Justice Center said.
The Liberty Justice Center filed its lawsuit on behalf of spice importer Burlap & Barrel and watch-seller Collective Horology.
It was filed in the US Court of International Trade, which initially ruled Mr Trump's previous tariffs were invalid before the case went to the Supreme Court, which then endorsed the trade court's ruling.
Donald Trump had been using tariffs to increase his power over other countries until America's Supreme Court stepped in. He was never going to cede that power easily.
This latest lawsuit's prospects of success are unclear.
Some analysts say the new "Section 301" tariffs, named for the relevant part of trade law, are more likely to withstand a legal challenge.
Former US trade negotiator Wendy Cutler, who is now senior vice-president of the Asia Society Policy Institute, said: "The likelihood of courts overriding these tariffs is significantly lower than previous actions."
But Alan Wolff, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, wrote the new tariffs "would represent another case of presidential overreach".
"If they were challenged in court, the Supreme Court would likely overturn them," said Mr Wolff, who has held senior trade positions with the US government and the World Trade Organization.
Australian businesses say the new tariffs will make it harder to compete in the US and hurt Australian jobs.
The Australian government has also said it would argue "very forcefully" against the "unjustified" new tariffs.
But that effort will likely be limited to diplomatic negotiation rather than legal challenge.
Mr Trump today defended the new tariffs.
"They're very standard tariffs," he said.
"The other way was easier. I thought the decision by the Supreme Court was not a good one. But we have many forms of tariffs."
Before yesterday's decision, Australia's exports to the US had been subject to a 10 per cent tariff — initially under Mr Trump's "liberation day" regime, and later under a temporary measure that expired at the same time that the new tariff kicked in.
So Australia's tariff rate increased 2.5 percentage points when the tariff took effect on Friday.
See more ABC coverage in your search results
Topic:Bowel and Rectal Cancer
Topic:AFL
Topic:Superannuation
Topic:Cannabis
Topic:Explainer
Topic:Tariffs
Topic:World Politics
Topic:Tariffs
Australia
Courts
Foreign Affairs
Tariffs
Trade Agreements
United States
World Politics
Topic:Bowel and Rectal Cancer
Topic:AFL
Topic:Superannuation
Topic:Cannabis
Topic:Explainer
Topic:World Politics
Topic:Superannuation
Topic:Cannabis
Topic:Unrest, Conflict and War
Your home of Australian stories, conversations and events that shape our nation.
This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced.
Get the latest ABC News delivered to your email inbox
Stay informed and connected with the ABC. Covering a wide range of topics and brands including News, iview, listen, and more.

source

Filed Under: World

Primary Sidebar

Quote of the Day

Footer

Read More

  • Breaking News
  • World
  • US
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Technology

My Account & Help

  • Quixnet Email
  • User Agreement

Copyright © 2026 · Urban Communications Inc. · Log in